Friday, May 27, 2011

Little Boy Blue.

Where is the boy who looks after the sheep?
Under the haystack fast asleep.



Ok, we don't have sheep (yet) and he's just snoozing on the living room floor. But he's so cute.

It seems we have colds in our house. Sally keeps whining about her nose and T.W. snuggled right up to me after he woke up and ate, only to fall right back to sleep. Thankfully I haven't got it bad, but I've been sneezing a bit more than usual. Hopefully that's the worst I'll get it. Mom's shouldn't be allowed to get sick. At any rate. This is a picture well suited to our current state.

Yesterday I made T.W. a hat. We needed something to keep the sun off his face and I decided to whip it up myself. I'm learning something about my sewing style these days and it's no surprise to me or probably just about anyone who's been with me while I've assembled something. I hate patterns. I've never been good at following directions (sorry mom). Sewing, it seems is no different. Patterns are full of directions that make little to no sense and to be honest, whenever I follow the directions the finished product is disappointing. Often I don't even like it so I won't even use it so it was a big fat waste of time and resources. So a big thanks to my mom who at least managed to teach me enough sewing for me to understand the crafty blogs out there that gave me the courage to try sewing without patterns. I'm so much more satisfied with the work I've put into things. Even if it's just a bitty hat. I'll put up pictures of the hat some time when he's up long enough to model it. :D

5 comments:

Sue Rasmussen said...

Loved the picture of sleeping T and will look forward to the hat

Tara said...

Way to take matters into your own hands and show those stinkin' patterns whose boss!

Andrew and Lauren said...

I know what you mean, just about every time I make something with a pattern, it doesn't turn out well.

Steph said...

My mom tried to teach me to sew, but we both agree that sewing machines don't like us (in her words, they growl at us when we walk by). So I think that your success at sewing is incredibly magnificent. Truly!

grandmajane said...

Sounds like the makings to become a designer to me. (except you need to make a pattern to market your creations!) Sorry to hear that the cold bug came to your house. Hope you all get feeling better soon.